Not A Review: Star Wars: The Force Awakens is all about the hype. The Force is really strong with this one, travelling in hyperdrive to satisfy cult classic fans, even new fans from generation to another generation. It indeed looks like a fan service sequel, but isn’t that what we’re looking for? YES!
Once again, this is not a review post (although it appears under ‘Movie Review’category); it’s a dedication post from a fan—who grew up with Special Edition of the original trilogy—wrapping up everything I love from the recent installment of this classic saga.
I will begin with general thing. I love how predictable The Force Awakens is. I mean I’ve been following every news about this sequel ever since the announcement a while ago. Fans have been speculated ever since the casts are announced—introducing several new pivotal characters and bringing back fan-favorite characters from the original trilogy.
Rumours and theories spread rapidly… and I began to believe my own theory. In the end, The Force Awakens really brings balance to those rumours and expectations. It’s always great to finally confirm that theory you believe is corrected by the film. It doesn’t really matter if it’s predictable, because that predictability is what we expect. And, ultimately, that predictability even brings us fans to several new questions.
Now, here’s a list of what I love from The Force Awakens, followed by a list of what I want to get from the sequel. Things with spoilers are highlighted in red. You’ve been warned.
01. I love it that only LucasFilm logo shown in the opening credit. Thank you Bad Robot and Disney!
02. That opening crawl probes multiple questions. Some are answered during the movie, but some are left unanswered.
03. The same opening crawl finally answered this question: Why isn’t Luke showing up in the poster and everything?
04. Poe Dameron (Oscar Isaac) is the most daring pilot among the Resistance! And he’s a Han and Luke and Wedge crossover.
05. Kylo Ren (Adam Driver) stops a blaster shot after it’s launched… and the laser stop there for awhile.
06. Max von Sydow’s Lor San Tekka is really probing another question: How did he know Kylo Ren’s origin?
07. Gwendoline Christie’s Captain Phasma is a cold, but nurturing first female-voiced stormtrooper.
08. BB-8 is not just a gimmick! It’s as essential as R2-D2 and C-3PO.
09. My eyes have been sweeping the desert landscape of Jakku but still cannot find Jar-Jar Binks’ skeleton as J.J. Abrams mentioned.
10. John Boyega is FN-2187 before Poe Dameron named him ‘Finn’
11. ‘Stay calm. Stay calm’ joke kickstarted my love to Finn’s comic relief persona.
12. A Resistance pilot flown a TIE fighter.
13. Simon Pegg is Unkar Plutt! And he’s stolen Millennium Falcon.
14. Rey (Daisy Ridley) is British! She’s a crossover of Luke and Leia!
15. Rey’s speeder is definitely as collectible as Kylo Ren’s ship.
16. Finn starts wearing Poe’s jacket and it suits him. He’s like a crossover of Han Solo and Lando Calrissian.
17. Rey makes an AT-AT Walkers’ carcass a home… and she has X-wing pilot helmet and a doll that resembles an X-wing pilot. Who is she?
18. All those creatures in Jakku, including those Jawas, are well-costumed. And Jakku is definitely Tatooine.
19. Rey beats two henchmen alone! She’s a scavenger, a badass fighter and techno-geek at once.
20. Millennium Falcon returns! But it is, once again, called as garbage.
21. That chase scene with Millennium Falcon is nostalgic!
22. Rey is as excited as Finn to know that they’re doing great with Millennium Falcon!
23. They thought they’re captured by First Order but turns out who captured them are…
24. YES! Han Solo and Chewbacca are home again in their Millennium Falcon.
25. Han Solo is a rebel hero. No, he’s a smuggler.
26. Those sparks in Rey’s eyes when Han tells them about Jedi and The Force.
27. Han Solo finally answers the question why is Luke disappearing.
28. Han Solo is once again had trouble with intergalactic crime gangs. This time, there are two: The Guvian and The Kanjiklub.
29. The Kanjiklub is a badass gang with The Raid casts as members and Mad Dog as the leader!
30. There are Rathtars! They’re like a smaller scale Sarlacc and the rescue mission from them is a sma ller scale of rescue mission from Rancorr.
31. Millennium Falcon jumps into lightspeed again!