“You talk the talk. Do you walk the walk?” (Full Metal Jacket, 1987)
Well, I’ve just read Akbar Saputra (of Me On The Movies)’s post about this blogathon. Then, I finally found out that KaramelKinema and Nostra (of My Film Views) kicked it off. While I’m currently skipping the cinema… joining this blogathon sounds so interesting. All I have to do is just answering questions (sort of interview) about life, love, and the movies.
Well, the rules of this blogathon is quite simple. Sooooo… if anyone wanna take parts on this blogathon, just check out THE ORIGINAL PAGE… and have some fun!
01. What was the first movie you saw in the cinema and what do you remember about that visit?
Well… to be honest, the first movie I saw in the cinema is “Batman & Robin” in 1997 and I only stayed for 15 minutes inside the cinema before I asked my aunt to take me home. It was all dark… and batman’s heavy voice was too creepy. Well, every time I watch The Dark Knight Trilogy now, I kinda feel embarrassed recalling that ‘dark’ moment with the no-so-dark knight (compared to Nolan’s Batman).
02. Are there any movies you have very strong memories of which are not because of the movie (for example something which happened at the time you were watching it)?
5 Centimeters per Seconds—I watched it a week before my Japanese students went back to their home country. It successfully made my whole week felt sour as the song ‘One More Time, One More Chance’ became my only playlist. Well, it happened around a year ago, anyway.5 Centimeters per Second
03. Which movies had a big impact on you and changed a (small) part of your view on life?
The Damned United has changed in 2 different ways: first, my view of self-pride—how pride can top us, fail us, but raise us like a cycle; second, my view on Yorkshire accent.
Forrest Gump—like “Run, Forrest!”—it tells me how good or bad is a matter of point of view.The Damned United Forrest Gump
04. Do you have any comfort movies which you return to because you are in a specific mood (for example if you are feeling down/nursing a heartbreak)?
I Saw the Devil—when I feel bored to death and need something to make me content in a way that I never know.
Y Tu Mamá También—when I really long to go to the beach (my paradise, my evening).
05. If a movie would be made about your life, what type of movie would it be and who would you like to portray you?
It’s a cinema poetica—like The Assassination of Jesse James. My character should be portrayed as a megalomaniac who aims for fame—but ends up being lame guy who like to daydream. Bronson-like tone and set pieces will adorn such movie well, but, it’s better to put Asian vengeance cliche to fit the atmosphere. There’s only one obvious choice to play this role… Casey Affleck.Casey Affleck
06. Which existing movie best represents you?
07. If you knew you would die tomorrow, what would be the last movie you would want to see?
The Tree of Life. I kinda need to see real beauty before I die.The Tree of Life
08. If you can spend your life working in the film industry, what would you be and why? (you know, director, producer, actor, cinematographer, costume designer, sound designer etc?)
Location manager (if there’s any), I’d like to travel around the world to find the most beautiful, yet, unusual place for movies that will make people wondering, like “Such kind of place is real, isn’t it?”
However, being a director is always my obsession–as I have done it before in a small-scale stage play. Playing symbols and purposive body motions of our actor/actress makes me feel more alive.
01. Did you ever have a first kiss with someone while at the cinema and if so which movie was playing?
Not a first kiss, though. It happened in the middle of The Incredible Hulk. Wasn’t it romantic?
02. What is your favorite movie relationship and why?
Gyeon-woo and The Girl in My Sassy Girl. Their bittersweet relationship is enhancing—I never find any proof that they’re in a relationship but I can feel their emotions in a not-so relationship. It seems like they’re meant to be bound together. I always want such kind of relationship…
03. When did your love for movies start and how has it grown?
1997. My first encounter with “real” cinema. It has never been easy to love movies if you are a selective viewer but you don’t have criteria. Yet, I love how I’m still in love with movies until now.
04. If you have to choose one film to watch with your loved one, what would it be and why?
My Sassy Girl. It might express everything I wanna express for far too long but I never did.
05. If you can choose one character from a movie to be your significant other who would it be and why?
Mrs. O’Brien (Jessica Chastain) from The Tree of Life as she has every quality to be someone to live with. I always like how she deals with things—loving and tenderly… and forgiving.
06. What was the first movie that made you fall in in love with film and cinema?
I watched The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and my view on movies has forever changed. It’s more than just a western movie or vigilante movie. I survived the 2 and a half hour duration and always enjoy every moment of it. It was not as mind blowing as many other movies, but it is just mesmerizing like poetry.
07. How did your passion for movies turn you into a movie blogger?
It spurts out naturally, like a boy having his first wet dream. When you watch tons of movies and loves each one of them (in any way), you cannot resist from their spurting out through your mouth orally to your friends or through social media–until finally you’ll need something to spurt your “love”.
08. What is your favorite date from a movie?
Gyeon-woo and The Girl’s 100-day anniversary, in which Gyeon-woo brings roses for the girl during a music class and The Girl plays Pachelbel’s Canon in D with a grand piano on the stage. It looks simple and cheesy–but it concludes their whole relationship in My Sassy Girl.My Sassy Girl
Ah! That’s all… They look a little personal, but it’s better to leave ’em that way, ’cause I think it’s necessary for me to share my personal opinion about movie by reflecting from my life and my love. Cheers!
7 thoughts on “BLOGATHON: Life, Love, and the Movies”
It seems you really in love with My Sassy Girl, lol. I’m a fan of KPop but I haven’t watched it yet-_-
Anyway, how to join this blogathon?
I’m not a fan of KPop nor KDrama, but My Sassy Girl is really something out of nothing. It’s like…. every man’s dream after all…
To join this blogathon: just answer those questions, put the logo, post it on your blog, and tell Nostra if you want it 🙂
Ahhh, must try this later XD
Great answers and your description of 5 Centimeters per Seconds really makes me want to check that movie out.
thanks 🙂 inspite of my sentimental reason, 5 Centimeters per Second is a great movie after all